Thursday, April 13, 2006

Weekend Cookbook Challenge - Caesars - Three Ways

This month's Weekend Cookbook Challenge is Easter Breakfast and/or Brunch. And since to me Easter means family, and family means drinks, I'm going with some cocktails!

Most Easters we spend with my parents, either here in Calgary or with them in B.C. Since no one has to drive anywhere, we'll usually have a couple of drinks before dinner. And during. And after.

My mom always has a different "drink special" every time we see them - margaritas, mojitos, or everyone's favorite - the Caesar.

Now, I am going to hazard a guess that most non-Canadians don't know what a Caesar is. Oh man, you don't know what you're missing!

Here's what wikipedia has to say:
"A Caesar...is a cocktail popular mainly in Canada. It contains vodka, clamato, Worcestershire sauce, tabasco sauce, and is served on the rocks in a large celery salt rimmed glass, and typically garnished with a stalk of celery and a wedge of lime. It is not well known in the U.S., and many Canadians living abroad prize a bartender who can mix a good Caesar."

Incidentally, the Caesar was created right here in Calgary, where I live. The original was made with tomato juice and mashed clams. Now they are made with Clamato which is tomato juice and clam nectar. DON'T say ew, or yuck or gross. It is truly, truly delicious.

Nectar of the Gods, dude.


So for WCC, I present to you:

Caesars - Three Ways.

Here are the basic ingredients you'll need for a Caesar:
vodka
clamato
Worcestershire sauce
tabasco sauce
lemon or lime wedges
celery stick
small plate
celery salt or rimmer

At our house we use rimmer, which is just spicy salt.

Classic Caesar
1 serving
1 oz vodka
6 oz (3/4 cup) Clamato
2-3 dashes Tabasco
2-3 dashes Worcestershire
Pour some celery salt or rimmer on the small plate. Run a wedge of lime or lemon around the rim of the glass, and dip in the salt. Set aside.
In a large glass, combine the vodka, Clamato, Tabasco and Worcestershire. Mix well. Place 2-3 ice cubes in the rimmed glass and pour in the Caesar. Add a celery stick and wedge of citrus.


Smoky Caesar
Same as above, but add 4 drops of liquid smoke.

Tequila Caesar
Same as above, but substitute 1 oz of tequila for the vodka.

The tequila one is my current favorite. Scott can't stand it, but he doesn't like tequila, so there you go.

You can also substitute the celery for a piece of picked asparagus, a pickled green bean, or a couple of pimento stuffed olives. All are equally delicious.

If you have a chance to try one of these out, be it on a visit to Canada, or perhaps if you local store happens to stock Clamato, give it a go. It's a perfect brunch drink. And if you don't enjoy alcohol, a virgin Caesar is just as good.

I'll raise my glass to you all this weekend as me and my family enjoy our Caesars.

Happy Easter!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a Bloody Mary down here. Delicious.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sara! That's great ... I like that you tried the three recipes. I'd have trouble choosing ... I'd have to make them all!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, tasty. I love cocktails :o)

Anonymous said...

We call them bloody mary's and my husband loves them!The more spicy the better to him.He swears they are the cure for a hangover.