Thursday, April 27, 2006

Shortbread



Day 3 of Christmas in April. Today - my world famous shortbread cookies. Mmmmm, so good.


I make these shortbread cookies every year for Scott and my boss. I wish I could tell you some heart warming story about how my Grandmother and I used to make these together and this is the recipe she made with her mother; but no. It's from the back of the Canada brand cornstarch box.

Shortbread
from the Canada Cornstarch box
Makes about 24 cookies
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup flour
3/4 cup soft butter

Sift together the cornstarch, icing sugar and flour. Blend in butter until a soft smooth dough forms. Shape into 1" balls and chill 30 -60 minutes. Place 1 1/2" apart on a cookie sheet and flatten slightly with a floured fork. Bake 300' for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool.

12 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Great! I've been looking for more shortbread recipes.

jasmine said...

Hi Sara!

Nothing wrong with back of the box recipes--my favourite stand-by brownie recipe is from the back of the Fry's tin :)

j

purplecupcake said...

Sounds like a wonderful recipe that I would love to try out...Some of the best recipes are just right on the back of the box! That's where I got my cheesecake recipe...

Ruth Daniels said...

I couldn't agree more - hooray for back of the box recipes. Where would we be without the chipits chocolate chip recipe?

Thanks for sharing

Sarah and Tiggy said...

That's funny- my "secret" shortbread recipe is from the same source! It's truly a great recipe isn't it?
Come visit me sometime!

Anonymous said...

Like SweetSarahJ, I use this recipe exclusively. It's so sweet, flaky, and buttery that it can't be beat.

I also use it for my secret cookie base for a kiwi and strawberry whipped-cream, cream-cheese pie that gets rave reviews.

SuperStenoGirl said...

While looking for THAT shortbread recipe (which truly my mom and grandmother have both used for years and years), I came across your site. I just happened notice you're in Kamloops!

I grew up in Kamloops! Small - small world!

Anonymous said...

Try using a fork dusted with icing sugar to flatten, or top with an almond, walnut, or marachino cherry.
Thanks for the recipe

karen said...

Love this receipe too! Used to make these all the time years ago. Tried to make them today but they didn't turn out. Put the bowl in the fridge before I rolled them. Now they won't stick together. Any suggestions??

Anonymous said...

I wanted this receipe all day but since I didn't have the right brand at home I couldn't make it, and I forgot the name of the brand. Thankfully I found you guys. Oh and for all those with gluten allergies my cousin used this receipe but used rice flour and added a touch of almond extract and it was amazing!!!!

Britt said...

this is the best recipe! I had to search it online because I just moved and the grocery store near me didn't have Canada brand, I was SO SAD.

Thank you for saving my shortbreads.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this recipe I've been looking for it. I always make a plain batch as well as one with white chocolate chips and one with chocolate chips and skor bits. Great for holiday gifting.